Thursday 5 April 2007

Mmmmm Flowers


I love flowers. I had to have live flowers for my wedding (comparable silk flowers would actually have cost me more!). I called around and got what seemed to be the best deal. $500 for my bouquet, centerpieces, my bridal party bouquets, and boutonnieres. Sounds reasonable right? Well, not for me. I didn't have $500 for flowers in the budget. When we set our budget, food and alcohol were our priorities. (you can have an astoundingly successful party in a hideous location if you have excellent food and wine)

Then, my friend, who I'd tapped to help me with the flowers, asked me "why don't we go to the flower market for all your flowers?" Ha, who'd have thought, go to the source! The flower market is where your florist gets their flowers so why should you pay the premium for them picking them up for you? Did you know that a dozen roses at the flower market can cost as little as $5. So for $10 I had my bouquet (21 jade roses). I needed 6 boutonnieres and 3 bridal party bouquets so that was another 2 dozen roses. That put me at $25 total!! I picked up some greenery for $2.50 and was done. I had no interest in floral centerpieces but if I had, as you can see from these prices, it wouldn't have run up to $500.

Los Angeles Flower Market: 766 Wall Street, 90014 $1 admission

Go to your local flower market and take your most decor conscious friend with you. Have her help you conceptualise a look for your floral needs and buy what you need at cost! Then set an afternoon date the day before the wedding (or morning - up to you) and create your bouquets/centerpieces etc.

Online flower markets are also gaining popularity. The flowers arrive a few days before the wedding (so they have time to open up), they're usually in prime condition, and still cost less than a florist. Check out www.freshroses.com and www.overstock.com for bulk flowers.

No comments: