Friday 27 July 2007

You really need that?

In no particular order, are items I find inflate wedding budgets yet serve little to no purpose! Also included is my commentary on how utterly ridiculous I find said items!

"Just Married" flip flops $10 (total $20 for you and delightful husband)
Are you serious? Even if we ignore the fact that you walk forward and will therefore not have the chance to enjoy these little imprints in the sand, who else cares? People in the bahamas, or whatever sandy tropical location they have landed in, are sort of pre-occupied with their own vacation and will therefore not be reading messages left in the sand.

"Wedding Planning Organizer" $29.95
Really? Because the $2.99 binder with dividers from Office Depot just won't suffice?

"The Name Change Kit" $29.95
You know what they do when you go to apply for your marriage license? They let you know what to do in order to change your name. If they don't, I can assure, you there are married women that will willingly share their knowledge on this apparently murky subject! When all else fails...................Google it!!

"Toasting Flutes" $14.95 - $39.95
You can either get them free (for instance if you register at Crate & Barrel), you can use your own, I promise the champagne tastes the same, or you can buy a set of 6 - 8 at Ross/Marshalls/Target/Wal-Mart for less than you buy a pair for.

"Personalized Wedding Stamps" $18.99 for a set of 20
Really? In recent memory, have you held onto a "simply divine" stamp?

"Bride-to-be Tote" $9.95
Ladies, I believe we have too many purses/totes etc that we can use in lieu of a personalized piece of canvas.

"Bridal Emergency Kit" (found for as much as $65)
That apparently goes into the "bride-to-be" tote. How about we just get the items we have lying around the house and use those? Hmmm?

The list goes on, but if you add up just a few of the items above, you'll be surprised by how fast nonsense items add up.







2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this site. I found you through IB but it has been awesome. We are just starting to plan a DIY wedding and you have some awesome resources.

KC said...

Hmm! I agree on most everything, except for the "Bride to Be" bag, which, just by carrying it, has earned me free champagne at restaurants, and upgrades to first class on planes! (Yes, and I thought that didn't happen anymore...) I did, however, get mine for $3.99 so it wasn't like I splurged or anything.

And in liew of the Name Change Kit, I've been using MissNowMrs.com, which is great since it generates everything for you and it's online so you can access it from anywhere and keep plugging through the dreaded name change. Just my thoughts!

PS - I always hated those flip flops!